Effects of Wheel Running on Cocaine Seeking in Rats: Behavior and Neurobiology
Post Doctoral, School of Medicine, University of Maryland - Baltimore
Undergraduate Institution and Major/Degree:
- University of Minnesota, B.S. & B.A., Neuroscience & Physiology, 2008
- Marilyn Carroll
- Mark Thomas
- Robert Meisel
Courses Taken Beyond the Core Courses:
- PSY 5012 - Learning and Cognition in Animals
- PSY 8935 - Readings in Behavioral Genetics and Individual Differences
- PUBH 6450 - Biostatistics I
- PUBH 6451 - Biostatistics II
- PHCL 8209 - Substance Abuse at the Bedside
- PHCL 8208 - Neuropsychopharmacology
- NSC 5462 - Neuroscience Principles of Drug Abuse
- NSC 8026 - Neuro-immune Interactions
- Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting, 2010, 2012, 2013
- American Psychological Association Annual Meeting, 2012
- College on Problems of Drug Dependence Annual Meeting 2011, 2012, 2013
- Behavior, Biology, and Chemistry: Translational Research in Addiction, San Antonio, TX, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Robert Meisel - Chair
- Jonathan Gewirtz
- Bruce Overmier
- Marilyn Carroll - Advisor
- Zlebnik NE, Carroll ME. Prevention of the incubation of cocaine seeking by aerobic exercise in female rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2015 Oct;232(19):3507-13.
- Radke AK, Zlebnik NE, Holtz NA, Carroll ME. Cocaine-induced reward enhancement measured with intracranial self-stimulation in rats bred for low versus high saccharin intake. Behav Pharmacol. 2015 Aug 19.
- Zlebnik NE, Carroll ME. Effects of the combination of wheel running and atomoxetine on cue- and cocaine-primed reinstatement in rats selected for high or low impulsivity. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2015 Mar;232(6):1049-59.
- Radke AK, Zlebnik NE, Carroll ME. Cocaine withdrawal in rats selectively bred for low (LoS) versus high (HiS) saccharin intake. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2015 Feb;129:51-5.
- Holtz NA, Radke AK, Zlebnik NE, Harris AC, Carroll ME. Intracranial self-stimulation reward thresholds during morphine withdrawal in rats bred for high (HiS) and low (LoS) saccharin intake. Brain Res. 2015 Jan 9;.
- Regier PS, Claxton AB, Zlebnik NE, Carroll ME. Cocaine-, caffeine-, and stress-evoked cocaine reinstatement in high vs. low impulsive rats: treatment with allopregnanolone. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014 Oct 1;143:58-64.
- Zlebnik NE, Saykao AT, Carroll ME. Effects of combined exercise and progesterone treatments on cocaine seeking in male and female rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2014 Sep;231(18):3787-98.
- Zlebnik NE, Brimijoin S, Gao Y, Saykao AT, Parks RJ, Carroll ME. Long-Term Reduction of Cocaine Self-Administration in Rats Treated with Adenoviral Vector-Delivered Cocaine Hydrolase: Evidence for Enzymatic Activity. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2014 Jan 10;.
- Zlebnik NE, Hedges VL, Carroll ME, Meisel RL. Chronic wheel running affects cocaine-induced c-Fos expression in brain reward areas in rats. Behavioural Brain Research. doi: 10.1016/j.bbr.2013.12.012.
- Carroll ME, Holtz NA, Zlebnik NE (2012) Saccharin preference in rats: Relation to impulsivity and comorbid drug intake, in Animal Models of Eating Disorders (Ed: Avena N), Springer: London, UK.
- Carroll ME, Zlebnik NE, Anker JJ, Kosten TR, Orson FM, Shen X, Kinsey B, Parks RJ, Gao Y, Brimijoin S. Combined cocaine hydrolase gene transfer and anti-cocaine vaccine synergistically block cocaine-induced locomotion. PLoS One. 2012;7(8):e43536. doi: 0.1371/journal.pone.0043536. Epub 2012 Aug 17.
- Zlebnik NE, Anker JJ, Carroll ME. Exercise to reduce the escalation of cocaine self-administration in adolescent and adult rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2012 Jul 3.
- Holtz NA, Zlebnik NE, Carroll ME. Differential orexin/hypocretin expression in addiction-prone and -resistant rats selectively bred for high (HiS) and low (LoS) saccharin intake. Neurosci Lett. 2012 Jul 26;522(1):12-5. Epub 2012 Jun 2.
- Anker JJ, Baron TR, Zlebnik NE, Carroll ME. Escalation of methamphetamine self-administration in adolescent and adult rats. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2012 Jul 1;124(1-2):149-53. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2012.01.004. Epub 2012 Feb 2.
- Anker JJ, Brimijoin S, Gao Y, Geng L, Zlebnik NE, Parks RJ, Carroll ME. Cocaine hydrolase encoded in viral vector blocks the reinstatement of cocaine seeking in rats for 6 months. Biol Psychiatry. 2012 Apr 15;71(8):700-5. Epub 2011 Dec 30.
- Anker JJ, Zlebnik NE, Navin SF, Carroll ME. Responding during signaled availability and nonavailability of iv cocaine and food in rats: age and sex differences. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2011 Jun;215(4):785-99. Epub 2011 Feb 8.
- Anker JJ, Zlebnik NE, Carroll ME. Differential effects of allopregnanolone on the escalation of cocaine self-administration and sucrose intake in female rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2010 Oct;212(3):419-29. Epub 2010 Aug 6.
- Zlebnik NE, Anker JJ, Gliddon LA, Carroll ME. Reduction of extinction and reinstatement of cocaine seeking by wheel running in female rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2010 Mar;209(1):113-25. Epub 2010 Jan 30.
- Anker JJ, Zlebnik NE, Gliddon LA, Carroll ME. Performance under a Go/No-go task in rats selected for high and low impulsivity with a delay-discounting procedure. Behav Pharmacol. 2009 Sep;20(5-6):406-14.
- Anker JJ, Holtz NA, Zlebnik N, Carroll ME. Effects of allopregnanolone on the reinstatement of cocaine-seeking behavior in male and female rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2009 Mar;203(1):63-72. Epub 2008 Nov 8.
Awards and Honors:
- 2014 NIDA Director's Travel Award
- F31 Ruth Kirschstein NRSA: Exercise for Treatment of Relapse: Behavior and Neurobiology, 2013
- Richard Poppele Prize for Research Independence and Excellence, 2013
- NIDA Women and Sex/Gender Junior Investigator Travel Award for CPDD 2013
- APA Annual Meeting 2012, Div. 3 Experimental Psychology Honorable Mention Poster Presentation
- 2012 Milne-Brandenburg Award for an Early Graduate Career First-Author Publication
- Behavior, Biology, and Chemistry: Translational Research in Addiction Travel Award, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Stark Award for Advanced Scholarship, 2011
- Society for Neuroscience
- American Psychological Association
- College on Problems of Drug Dependence
- MN Academy of Sciences
- Chisholm, MN