Dorsal Striatum and Decision Making: Implications for Addiction
Post Doctoral Associate, University of Pennsylvania
Undergraduate Institution and Major/Degree:
- University of Nebraska at Omaha
I am interested in multiple decision-making systems theory and how it relates to addiction. I have two projects that I'm working on. 1) Recording simultaneously in dorsal medial and dorsal lateral striatum and measuring information processing about flexible and habitual actions. 2) Using decision-making systems theory to understand and improve upon certain types of addiction treatment.
- Donald Simone
- Michael Georgieff
- Bob Meisel
- Marilyn Carroll
Courses Taken Beyond the Core Courses:
- PHCL 5110- Introduction to Pharmacololgy
- PSY 5012- Learning/Cognition in Animals
- PUBH 6450- Biostatistics I
- NSC 5462- Neuroscience Drug Abuse
Conferences Attended and Presentations:
- Society for Neuroscience - 2008, 2010, 2012
- College on Problems of Drug Dependence - 2010
- Robert Meisel- chair
- Jonathan Gewirtz
- Jim Ashe
- Regier PS, Amemiya S, Redish AD. Hippocampus and subregions of the dorsal striatum respond differently to a behavioral strategy change on a spatial navigation task. J Neurophysiol. 2015 Sep;114(3):1399-416.
- Regier PS, Redish, AD. Posterior dorsomedial striatum represents a strategy change, and dorsolateral striatum represents habit on the Hebb-Williams maze. In preparation for Journal of Neurophysiology. 2015
- Regier PS, Redish AD. Implications of the multiple-decision making systems theory for Contingency Management. Under review at Psych Review. 2015
- Regier PS, Claxton AB, Zlebnik NE, Carroll ME. Cocaine-, caffeine-, and stress-evoked cocaine reinstatement in high vs. low impulsive rats: treatment with allopregnanolone. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014 Oct 1;143:58-64.
- Holtz NA, Anker JJ, Regier PS, Claxton A, Carroll ME. Cocaine self-administration punished by i.v. histamine in rat models of high and low drug abuse vulnerability: effects of saccharin preference, impulsivity, and sex. Physiol Behav. 2013 Oct 2;122:32-8.
- Regier PS, Carroll ME, Meisel RL. Cocaine-induced c-Fos expression in rats selectively bred for high or low saccharin intake and in rats selected for high or low impulsivity. Behav Brain Res 2012 May
18;223(2):271-279 [Epub ahead of print]
- Papale AE, Stott JJ, Powell NJ, Regier PS, Redish AD. Interactions between deliberation and delay-discounting in rats. Cogn Affect Behav Neurosci. 2012 May 16
Awards and Honors:
- NIDA training grant - 2012 to present
- Frederick M. Stark Travel Award - 2014
- Madrid, NE