UNDERGRAD INSTITUTION AND MAJOR:
Colorado College, BA, Neuroscience, 2012
Esther Krook-Magnuson, Ph.D, Department of Neuroscience
DESCRIPTION OF GRADUATE RESEARCH
Temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE) is a common form of epilepsy and TLE patients demonstrate progressive cognitive decline. This deficit is negatively correlated with seizure control. Previous work on a mouse model of TLE using on-demand optogenetic techniques demonstrated that both the hippocampus and the cerebellum could be effective intervention targets. My research uses optogenetic techniques, chronic electrophysiological recordings, and behavioral tasks to inhibit seizures and probe for cognitive effects. At a basic science level, my research examines contributions of specific cell populations to seizure networks. At a translational level, my research investigates ways to alleviate cognitive co-morbidities of TLE.
- Behavioral & Cognitive Neuroscience
- Neurodegenerative Diseases & Neural Injury
GRADUATE LEVEL AWARDS AND HONORS
- Morris Smithberg Memorial Prize Winner, 2015
- NSF IGERT Systems Neuroengineering Fellow, 2014
- Sylvain Lesne, Ph.D, Department of Neuroscience
- Walter Low, Ph.D, Department of Neurosurgery
- Stanley Thayer, Ph.D, Department of Pharmacology
- Esther Krook-Magnuson, Ph.D, Department of Neuroscience
- Student Board Second Year Representative, 2015-2016
- Recruitment Weekend Retreat Committee, 2015-2016
WHY DID YOU CHOOSE MN?
Choosing which graduate school to attend is a complex choice. I chose to attend the University of Minnesota for my PhD in neuroscience because they had the greatest number of faculty I wanted to work with, rigorous coursework (that looked actually relevant and interesting), and a supportive, fun group of graduate students that fostered the best atmosphere.
STUDENT MENTOR AND THE BEST ADVICE THEY GAVE.
Kyle Biesecker: The best advice I'm going to attribute to him was the revelation that there's no best answer for major life decisions (ie choosing a lab after rotations). You pick what feels right, and seems like it'll have the best outcome, and then work toward making that a reality.